President Donald Trump is set to announce the largest ever federal investment to address a diastase rectal condition that has killed hundreds of people and left millions in need of surgery.
The $100 million initiative is the largest single investment by the Trump administration to date to address the issue.
Trump has already spent $3.3 billion in the last year to help Americans with the disease, but he is expected to announce a new round of money to help pay for surgeries, including the first $100,000 to help people pay for the first stage of the procedure.
The new money would be used to help families afford the first round of treatments, as well as to reimburse doctors and hospitals.
“Our nation has made great strides toward eradicating this disease and we must do more,” Trump said Thursday.
“Now is the time to take action to end this tragedy and to provide the resources and support needed to help those who have been affected by this disease.”
Trump announced the funding in a tweet.
He said the money would come from an increase in the U.S. sales tax.
The administration will seek to raise $5.9 billion for the National Institutes of Health, and $6.2 billion for health care infrastructure.
Trump is expected on Friday to sign the final executive order on diastasis, a condition that affects the rectum and prevents the flow of urine from the bladder into the rectal cavity.
Diastasis is a condition in which the intestines are unable to clear the lining of the rectus, which is the part of the body that helps regulate the flow and pressure of urine and feces.
The condition can be severe, with severe symptoms such as a feeling of being sick, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
It can also be mild, but can include periods of discomfort and difficulty urinating, as it is often too difficult for the body to flush the contents of the bladder.
Trump previously ordered the first phase of the $100-million National Institutes for Health initiative to address both diastases.
“Diastasis has devastated so many families,” Trump wrote in the Jan. 15 tweet.
“We must make sure these funds are given to those who can best afford it.”
The Trump administration is also working on a new initiative to help patients with diastasms.
Trump’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said the $4.6 billion National Institute for Health Services (NIS) will fund a new grant program to help health care providers and hospitals pay for first- and second-stage diastasia surgeries, which include reconstructive and cosmetic surgeries.
The HHS initiative is expected in the coming weeks, HHS Secretary Tom Price said in a statement.
The program will help providers and hospital staff who have had their care disrupted or who are not receiving the full amount of care that is needed.
“This grant will help hospitals with the additional costs associated with a first- or second-degree diastasyme,” Price said.
“It will help patients, their families and providers who are in need by enabling them to receive the best care possible.”